I ran the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon this past Saturday. The weather was nice but, it was the biggest pain in my booty ever. First of all, with events such as this I like to plan ahead. Plans were still being solidified morning of the event. Cause for me to panic a bit considering this is one of the largest mini-races in the nation. I have bulleted the list as not to bore you with all of the gory details.
- I was run/walking this mini with originally 2 girlfriends of mine (Mars and Special K) and one of their significant others. 4 total. They were still trying to decide how to figure out how they were getting to the race the night before…
- I ended up staying with another girlfriend (KBarnes) who was running the race too….so we could all walk/run together.
- Day of the race: we were together until it came to parking.
- Special K and I were in Corral R (I didn’t find this minor detail out until about mid race…) but Mars and significant other this were in Corral V. We were all supposed to be in R. Opps. KBarnes was in Corral T.
- I went to Corral R thinking I was just going to find everyone there or go back to walk with KBarnes, but who was I kidding?? I got lost from everyone. I had to go to the bathroom and we had at least 20 min left to start. I felt like I needed someone to page my mom. “we have a lost kid up here at the start line…..”
- I started the race off with no one beside me that I knew…I was kind of frantic and couldn’t relax. I hit the first pit stop then.
- I ran my heart out until Mile 4, then I started to walk….then Mars and Special K came right up from behind me! They ran/walked with me until Mile 10 (then they had to leave for a wedding)
- I had Mars text KBarnes to let her know where I would meet her after the race and that was my plan.
- We got to run on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway…and just on one long stretch I saw my college cheer coaches on the side cheering us on! How cool is that?! Gave them hugs and we were on our way!
- I finished strong walking the last three miles with a wonderful woman named Jewels. We were both very happy to have each others company.
- At the finish line, I looked diligently for KBarnes…discouraged I started walking away…THEN NOMAD APPEARED! Boy was I glad to see him!!
- Then we walked to Panera, where I was meeting KBarnes. She was nowhere to be found there…then she busted thru the door and goes “where have you been?! I was so worried I couldn’t find you!” That’s when I explained what happened.
- I got my stuff and then Nomad took me to get my car.
- On Sunday, horrible migraine. I didn’t move literally 4 hours straight, threw up twice, and just felt ikky. Oh and my 2nd toe was black and blue. That was pretty cool.
So all in all, I was glad to have finished. It was the hardest race I have ever completed in my life! But, I did it. I made it thru and I was alive. OH you might be wondering about my time….well that was nothing to write home about…but no matter what I finished it. 🙂
I started this post off with the youtube.com clip, “Jessica’s Affirmation” because I think it is important that I complete this race. I made the commitment and I successfully completed my goal: “…to finish still standing”.
My Affirmation: I can do anything independently or with others. I am my own person and as long as I am confident in myself and my OWN abilities, I will succeed at whatever I choose to accomplish. I recognize my strength comes from the Lord, my drive comes from my will, and I will only be as successful as I believe myself to be!